Tuapkea Mouth Ferry Song
Welcome to Tuapeka Mouth ' Heritage Hub ' POP
A group of very committed citizens from Tuapeka Mouth have been busy cleaning up the former Tuapeka Mouth Presbyterian Church which they purchased under the name of the Clutha Valley Tuapeka Heritage Trust. They have carried out a massive cleanup of the neglected property and the grounds have been given a makeover with plans for painting and building maintenance on the 1909 building to bring it back to its former glory.
The Trust Intend using the building for local functions and as a meeting place for the community. As there is ample ground around the buildings they have applied to the NZMCA and have declared the Heritage Hub as a park over property and look forward to meeting members of the Association during their stay there. They are keen to attract more people to their area which they consider one of New Zealand's best kept secrets. The Hall will be available for motorhomers to use as needed and there is a flush toilet at the back of the main building. Freshwater is also available.
The Tuapeka Mouth Ferry (The Punt) crosses the Clutha River and is a great attraction at Tuapeka mouth, it is the only one of its kind in the southern hemisphere using the flow of the river to cross from one side to the other and back. Foot passengers are very welcome on the punt for the return trip and some would be able to take their motorhome across all though weight restrictions apply. The punt operates every day between 8am 10 a.m. and 4 and 6 p.m. river level permitting. It is also great area for fishing either for trout and salmon in the Clutha River or trout up the Tuapeka River . Gold panning could be another activity and there are lots of the river walks and history in the area.
Tuapeka mouth is a beautiful area At the Junction of the Clutha and Tuapeka Rivers about 33.5kms up River from Balclutha and 26.5kms from Lawrence. The area is also accessible from Beaumont, although you would need to travel down to Clydevale and cross over on the bridge there and then back up to Tuapeka mouth The area is well known for its healthy sheep and dairying and country.
In 1852 the intrepid Thomas Archibald navigated the Clutha as far as Beaumont in a whaling boat. Following the gold rush at Lawrence in 1861 crowds of miners worked all the way down the Tuapeka River to Tuapeka mouth in search of gold and later the Clutha River was dredged for gold for many years with indifferent results. As late as 1945 the Tuapeka mouth goldmining company still employed two or three men.
Tuapeka Mouth was an inland port for about 30 years until 1939 for paddle wheel steamers to and from balclutha.
Next time you're planning a trip to the South, be sure to visit the area and take advantage of the new Heritage Hub POP and meet some of the locals who are keen to tell you about the area and what they believe is New Zealand's best kept secret.